It might look useless to use Traktor on two or more PCs, eh MACs , but only at first look. In certain conditions it’s very helpful or even necessary. For example, me and my brother. We often have common gigs, and both of us has his own MacBook. It was pretty annoying to sync our music every time you modified even one little tag or beatgrid. I hated it We kept most of the time actual collection only on one MacBook, totally impractical if you want to prepare your playlist for next gig …
Another example. You can have powerfull desktop, where you can prepare everything. On a big screen, lots of power (try to analyze 50GB of music ), with mouse, etc. and when you have gig, grab you little 13′ MacBook and everything is synced here!! Playlists, Cuepoints even Midi mappings!!
It can be usefull even for people with one laptop. Imagine, you are going to gig abroad and flight company lost your bag with laptop. What are you going to do now? Borrow laptop from someone, setup syncing, wait few hours on internet to sync and you are ready to Rock’n'roll!! Best part
What is synced?
- midi mapping
Some time ago I started looking for a solution. At the end it’s super easy and lame proof Its mostly done by SugarSync service. You know, something like Dropbox. You can choose folder, which will be synced with other computers and backed up on their server. SugarSync has even 2GB free account (good for testing this!!) and if you use this link to registering you will get 500MB free bonus to your free account or free 10GB bonus if you subscribe to payed plan. Free account has only one limitation, it can sync only two computers. 30GB plan costs only $4.99 and with this link link you will get 40GB for the same price!
Synchronization of collection and settings is as simple as syncing normal folders, but you should do some modifications before syncing. Folder with your music have to be on both computers on the same place, because Traktor collection stores absolute path to tracks … I prefer to move folders on the root of your disk. Same to folder where Traktor settings and collection are stored, but its not necessary.
BTW: If you have lots of music as we have (50GB) you will probably don’t want to upload it all. It’ll take ages to upload. You can do it another way, do everything as it written here, but create new subfolder in your music folder. Then sync these music folders on both computers and only new subfolder setup to sync by SugarSync. I did it this this way and it works great
Now it’s only about to setting up the SugarSync synchronization.
You should sync Traktors only on same platform, during little differencies inf file structure. It means only between MACs of only between PCs.
Traktor is not optimized to this, so try to avoid having opened Traktor on many computers in the same time. Only collection from lastly quitted Traktor will be synced. So when you doing some iportant changes or settings close other Traktors before it
You can use same method on pretty much every music soft. Maybee with little nuances. For example, I’m syncing loops for MLR (Monome stuff ), MaxMsp patche for our DIY WIFI controller (http://www.flickr.com/photos/prusajr/3207283233/ don’t spread it, it’s not finished yet ) etc.
How to set up Traktor on first computer
0) Remmember, you shouldn’t do it if you havent a clue what’s going on. I can’t take responsibility of any damage what you can do to your collection … Final advice, backup everything before you go thru this howto, just for sure
1) Move yor music folder and Traktor root folder (you can find out where it is placed now in Traktor settings -> Data location) on the root of disc.
2) Update folders locations in Traktor settings on Data Location tab.
3) You have to relocate tracks in collection. Run Consistency Check, by right click on Track Collection. You should se lots of missing tracks, so click Relocate and find your new music folder. Then save your collection, or Quit Traktor. Here is Video Screencast of these steps.
4) Traktor is now ready to sync
How to setup SugarSync folder synchronization
1) Get SugarSync HERE. Install it on every computer where you want to synchronize collection.
2) On first computer, with prepared Traktor add Music and Traktor root folders into SugarSync. HOWTO video Screencast!
3) On every other computer add these folders on the same place as it’s on first computer by SugarSync. HOWTO video Screencast!
4) You should wait until SugarSync upload and sync everything.
How to set up Traktor on onther computers
1) You should have same Music and Traktor root folders on every computer now. Check it.
2) Simply open traktor and set same folders as on first computer on Data Location tab
3) Ready to go ..
5) Leave a comment about your setup, we love technical stuff